Monday, March 14, 2011

Comments and commenters

It is not every day that I get a letter, good or bad, about my work but I got a few emails and one call about a recent assignment I covered.

The family was very kind and accepted Maddie, the reporter, and I into the funeral despite the tragic reason for it. I do not enjoy covering funerals, but they went out of their way to welcome us, which is rare. This is in no small part because of Maddie's fantastic reporting (that day, and the following day) on the events and the person at the center of them, something no other news outlet did.

The comments to a letter to the editor
gave me heart and reminded me that there are a lot of folks out there who pay attention and rely on the paper.

Wayne's foster-sister did write Maddie to say she was thankful for the coverage and was not upset with the image.

Almost a week after it ran we decided to discuss it with readers one more time.

1 Comments:

Blogger James said...

Good work Alex. Between 2009 and 2010 The state of New Hampshire cut over $3 million in funding for mental health programs.

Recently while working on this story: http://www.vnews.com/webextras/webextras-mandy.html, I interviewed the medical director of West Central Behavioral Health who said that the it will be more costly to hospital emergency rooms, law enforcement and the penal system without such services.

The state of Vermont is now considering cutting $11 million from mental health programs.

March 15, 2011 6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home