Tuesday, July 17, 2007

the slowest in the group

My running schedule called for a easygoing 6 miles for today. I have been pretty lax in training. Skipped my first long run, cut short the next long run due to food poisoning, then finally got up to distance, 12 instead of the recommended 14 miles, last week.

But, I've been spending Tuesday evenings with the local running group. It consists of twenty-odd guys and one woman running an eight mile loop. I've been running six of the eight miles, but finally gave it a whirl for the full eight today.

I started out last and stayed in last watching them fade into the distance. By the time I reached mile three (my house) all but two were out of sight. I passed two guys at mile four, so i really wasn't dead last, just third from last, and cruised in while everyone else was cooling down and stretching.

What amazes me is that I ran eight miles in 1:05. That's by far the fastest I've ever run that kind of distance (I think), but I was still so far back in the pack.

I guess I can only get faster from here (as long as I don't pop something).

3 Comments:

Blogger Lou said...

You go, Alex!

Makes me want to go out for a run. Too bad it's 10:00 p.m. and I need to get to bed so I can chase crazy teens around all day tomorrow. . . .

:)

July 17, 2007 7:02 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

dude that's awesome. Keep up the running! We need to run together sometime. You should also sign up for this site - it's free, and is a great way to track your runs.
http://www.buckeyeoutdoors.com/cgi-bin/training/traininglog?guest=robg2251

July 18, 2007 12:30 PM  
Blogger Ash said...

i'm jealous. 6 is all i've been able to do all week. grrr. but next saturday is the big day...i'm terrified.

August 03, 2007 11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home