Thursday, March 15, 2007

of landlords, good and bad




I was quite proud of driving my Uhaul, complete with car-carrying trailer, across the country longitudinally without incident. I learned early on that reverse is not an option and that wide-angle mirrors are fantastic. The 45MPH speed limit thing written on the trailer must be for an empty trailer ( I hope).

I did feel like a trucker, drafting in line leaving Seymour, Ind., leapfrogging between the long loads, and using the other side of rest stops. They saw me as an amateur and left me plenty of space, no doubt, but it was fun while it lasted. I am happy not to be paying $70 a pop at the pump now.

The sun was shining, the ice melting in the 72 degree warmth and I pulled alongside my apartment to-be at 5:15. I step out, say hello to my landlord, whose wife I had only met. he shakes my hand, comments on the weather, then produces the check I mailed him. "You can have this back. Its an out of state check (from the largest bank in the country)and I can't use it. You need an in-state account for us to cash the check, so until we receive payment the lease is not yet valid." And here I thought a check from Bank of America was good anywhere in America.

Flummoxed and a bit dismayed I hung my tail and drove across town to another apartment I had been looking at. It was still available and after a phone call and a fresh BoA check, it was mine. More expensive by $50/mo. + util.s, but much more space, a yard and a porch. A much friendlier apartment with much more agreeable landlords.

Need a place to party on July 4, c'mon over. Mario, my landlord and neighbor, puts on the biggest Independence Day party of the year. (Photos of his deck that's taller than his house TK, you can sorta see it on the left.) I will take the geeky photo crowd any day, especially if you bring a photo book for perusal.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy Soper said...

Hmmm... no wrinkly shirts in these pics. You either must have packed an iron in that U-Haul or borrowed one from that "dithering" friend of yours. Welcome to the mitten.

March 15, 2007 4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, just look at your new, fancy crib.
Susan

March 16, 2007 2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home